GIFTED & TALENTED PROGRAM
The gifted and talented (GT) program at Blackshear strives to ensure that all students have an equal opportunity to participate in the program and provide GT students with what they need to be motivated and challenged.
For students to be identified for the GT program:
1. Parents must fill out a nomination form and testing survey
- Forms sent home by teacher, refer to calendar below for dissemination dates
- The Cognitive Abilities test is rigorous and intended to estimate students' learned reasoning and problem solving abilities through a battery of verbal, quantitative, and nonverbal test items.
2. Students must also complete a pre-specified project at home and will take a test in class administered by their teacher.
- We recommend that the parents/guardians DO NOT intefere with the completion of this project, unless providing basic resources.
All of these items together will formulate a score which the GT committee at Blackshear will carefully review to determine placement or non-placement.
Students who qualify for the GT program:
1. Meet with Mr. Grape and Mrs. Piedra this year for two days a week, 45 minutes each day.
- Students in 1st-2nd grade meet together and work on a program titled code.org.
- Students in 3rd-5th grade meet together and are participating in a program titled FUSE.
When to apply to the GT program:
For more program information:
Please contact Mr. Grape at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on qualifying:
Please contact Ms. Piedra at email@example.com or at 512-414-3192.